- Posted by: Ana
- Category: Advice, Colorado Roofing, Denver Roofing, General Contractor, Hail Damage, Roof Repair, Roofing
Choosing a roofing contractor can be stressful. Let us guide you to make a good decision you won’t regret in the long run. Next time you need your roof replaced or repaired, consider our tips for choosing a contractor you can trust.
1. The first thing you should keep in mind is that you should choose a reputable contractor from a referral service. The best one is Tom Martino’s Referral List. If you use his list you’ll have recourse in case something does go wrong.
2. Don’t just use the first guy who comes knocking on your door. The storm chasers are just out for your money, not your best interest. The chances of getting a problem fixed, especially a year or two down the road can be almost impossible.
3. Don’t sign any type of “authorization;” it’s actually a binding contract. Make sure you get a written bid specifying the materials and costs of the job. This should include all your expectations of the work to be done.
4. Read the fine print and don’t sign a contract with a cancellation fee. The only reason a cancellation fee is included is to hold you hostage in case you want out of the deal.
5. Your contractor needs to have liability and workman’s comp insurance. This will protect you if they damage your property or if one of the workers gets hurt.
6. Make sure your contractor pulls a building permit and has the work inspected.
7. Most importantly, never pay a contractor any money until the job is finished. Don’t pay for material up front! If things go wrong with the job you will have all the money to pay someone else to fix it. This is the best protection a consumer can have. At Excel Roofing, you don’t pay a cent until you’re content!
Watch J’s video on his 5 tips for hiring a trustworthy contractor